Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Alec's Leadership Philosophy

Intro: My Dad owns a property management company where he manages thousands of units in the city of Chicago.  One day I want to succeed and take over his business myself.  In order to do so, I need to have certain leadership skills to bring continue the success in his company.  Here are the leadership qualities I believe I will need in order to do so.

1. First off, I will need to be calm.  In the property management business a lot of things go wrong all the time.  If an issue comes up and I freak out, it may rub off on some of my other workers and they will freak out too.  Overall this will lead to a loss of money which will harm my companies business.  How I plan handling high pressured situations, is by first finding out all the details on the problem.  Then I will brainstorm how I can solve or fix the problem.  Finally, I will execute by doing what needs to be done.

2. Then next important quality I will need to have is communication.  When managing buildings all over the city I will need to have very good communication skills.  I will need to have to communicate from everyone to my workers to the building managers to the tenants of the building.  I plan on being good at communicating by creating an email that is specifically for work, then when emailing I will make sure to be concise and will always explain the situation and what needs to be done, also I will include when it needs to be done by.

3.  Another principle I will value is perfecting myself before I give other advice.  Of course I won't just be appointed the head of the company right away, I will have to work for many years and for other people before I earn the CEO title.  But it is very important to gain expertise in what you are doing before you give others advice, otherwise you might be giving your workers the wrong advice.  In addition, if I give wrong advice my workers might respect me less and won't listen to me.  Overall being an expert at what you do won't only affect you but can positively affect others.



4.  Organization. Organization is huge because you have so much to keep track of.  Whether it is the condition of a building or keeping track of collecting rent, you have to be very organized to be efficient.  If you are very disorganized you can run into a lot of problems and the company will essentially go out of business.  There are so many resources I can use to be organized whether it is assigning certain people to keep track of certain things or using technology like microsoft excel.  Overall, I plan on keeping my company very organized so everything will run a little bit smoother.

5.  Another thing I plan to use to make my company more successful is motivation/inspiration. Going to work can get a little bit repetitive and boring for some, which can lead to someone being unmotivated and can affect their performance.  I plan on motivating my workers by being someone they want to work for and want to do well for by being a very friendly boss.  I don't want to just have friendly small talk with my workers but actually gain relations with them.  Some of my dad's best workers are his best friends and that is something I want if I take over his business or run any business.


Conclusion:  Overall I think all these qualities can help me lead my business to success and I think other leaders should consider focusing on perfecting these qualities too.




No comments: