Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Dan's Leadership Philosophy


Leadership Philosophy

I used to think being a leader meant you talk and people listen because you are the leader. I learned that you have to be a leader you are not just a leader because that's what your title says. I learned that I am a passive leader. I like to let people do their job and help them when they get off track or can't figure something out. Throughout this class and in most situations where I am a follower I disliked an overbearing leader and felt restricted. I believe that people must be allowed some space or they will not be able to reach their full potential. A situation of equal opinion but not equal power.

A very important part of being a leader is understanding your employees. You must understand them and they must understand you. This is one of the most important parts of being a leader because you must know your employees abilities, thought processes, and faults or you will never have an efficient and successful staff. Knowing these things gives you the ability to chose the right person for each job. Understanding your employees is the general formula to success.

Another very important quality is communication. Communication is a key part of understanding your employees. For almost a year and a half I worked for Mariano's in Northfield. Throughout that time I noticed that their communication between management and its employees definitely needed improvement. Schedules would overlap or there would be gaps where no one was scheduled to work in a department and it would get kind of chaotic. Management's inability to communicate caused many employees to get frustrated and quit, As an employee there my responsibility was to maintain popular items and keep the shelves organized. There were three managers who tell me what needed to be done. One would give me a job and another would tell me to stop and do something else halfway through and that would go on throughout my shift. Nothing got done and it just was not efficient. If the managers communicated better I would have been able to do more for them.

Organization is a key factor of being a good leader as well. Without organization communication would have no structure. If you asked me what my greatest weakness is I would most likely say organization. However, through the Leadership Impact Project I learned that without organization you will not have a backup plan, or you won't know what your responsibility is or when it needs to be done. Organization is something that is hard to maintain but if you do you will have a better product. Organization is the groundwork of a solid professional relationship and help you and your employees to synergize.

Organization is key in having good communication in order to understand your employees. These things all build off of each other. If you are missing one of them you do not have any of them. These are the building blocks to a successful business. Throughout this class I have learned the importance of these things and I will try to incorporate these aspects in my future endeavors.    








No comments: