Friday, December 12, 2008

Vermont Man: Cheap and Proud of It



He's a man known by many nicknames as the cheapest man in America. Vermont's Roy Haynes is 55 years old, he has no debt, no mortgage and no car payments. He doesn't have a real job, but he earns about $15,000 a year. Even Haynes marriage was cheap. The entire wedding cost $70, and he stopped by McDonald's on the way home. The neighbors threw rice at him after the serimony so, Haynes' swept it up and cooked it for dinner. Roy is also some kind romantic guy he would bring a nice bouquet of roses from funeral home after they were discarded. It's a rare occasion when Haynes actually spends money for food. Haynes, the best things in life are free

"I can only go to the same place twice -- the first time to eat, the second time to apologize." Said Lisa Roy wife.

"He sees that there's a leftover at somebody else's table he'll ask and want to take that food home," Lisa Haynes said. "Sometimes I'd like to kill him when he takes home other people's food."




">

7 comments:

Ali said...

I agree that the best things in life are for free. I think it's amazing that this guy lives happy with everything he already has.

Kaity said...

I agree with Ali, we should all learn how to save money. But, i do think its rude to take home leftovers from someone else's home.

Lexi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lexi said...

I agree with the other Ali and Kaity. I think it's great that he is successful in these hard times. But how does he make 15,000 dollars?

Malia said...

I respect this man for living life without the material things that don't truly matter. However, I still think that he should try to abide by some of our society's norms. For example, it is highly unacceptable to take somebody's leftovers in a restaurant and can even be considered rude. But all in all, I think that he has the right mind set and values the imporatnt things in life.

Ross said...

If he doesn't mind asking people to take home their left overs then he should be able to take them home. It is better that he uses everything rather than most people who waste food by throwing away their leftovers.

Samantha said...

I love the spirit that he is giving off. It is very positive. He knows what he wants in life and stands to his beliefs. But in my opinion I am kind of disgusted because I feel like he wasted his life, maybe its just me? I think if you have the opportunity in life to better yourself then you should go for it because he is acting like a poor person when he could go and get educated with money he saves and better him and his wife. I would not never ever let myself live a life like that nor could I ever understand how his wife married him. Is it just me?