Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A good leader is a good Teammate and well trusted Friend

Remember the difference between a boss and a leader; a boss says "Go!" - a leader says "Let's go!"  ~E.M. Kelly
My leadership philosophy by Clark Caron 


As I leader I have always been laid back and gone with the flow. Its not out of laziness, it is because I have a belief that if someone is given the opportunity to do something truly exceptional (wether or not they believe they can) they will own up to the challenge. I also believe that if you cannot do the work yourself you can't expect others to do it. Its with these ideals that I am a free rein leader, letting my employees manage themselves, allowing me to be more hands on and part of the group. But with free rein you run the risk of getting off track, so when I notice that I suggest another idea to get the team back on track and for that brief moment I am  an autocratic leader. This method makes sure the work gets done right, and the employees are happier because they are given space to work without me breathing down their necks. This is my leadership style, but there is more that goes into my leadership philosophy than the style that I built upon to best fit me. There are 4 core qualities and skills that I believe can make a great leader an exceptional one and are what I think truly defines me as a leader. 


1. Communication. Communication is important because it makes sure nothing is forgotten and that nothing is accidentally done twice. Great communication makes everything run smoother. The key to great communication is making sure everyone can communicate using the same means of communication such as Email, texting, Facebook or google+. In our modern world with all the instant ways to connect with technology there is no reason to be out of the loop. 


2.  Beginning with the end in mind. This is important because it is very easy to get off track when you don't know where you are going to end. When making a plan or outline I like to start with what I would like to do then move onto what is possible. Also make sure everything has deadlines and that everyone has roles so you stay on track and on time. It also makes everyone (including yourself) accountable for their own work. 

3. Motivation, positive or negative. A good employee needs to be acknowledged for their good work. Getting told that you are doing a great job by your leader is a great thing so you keep up the good work to keep them proud of you. Another good way to motivate workers is an incentive program where good work awards you prizes. Bad work and major mistakes need to be noted too, and as a leader you have to talk to that employee about it. An employee who knows they let you down will not only feel shameful, but driven to make up for their mistake and to get back into your good graces. 

4. Being fair, understanding and respected. Being fair and understanding is as important as being respected. Being a fair leader makes your employees trust you more and they feel more comfortable. This allows them to focus more on their work and not on other things. Being understanding is also important because if an employee has a problem thats affecting their work they have to trust that you will being understanding enough to cut them some slack. If they don't they will keep this problem to themselves and continue to work. Then they could very easily make a mistake, big or small, which makes them a liability. Also others may be dependent on that one workers work so they could be dragging down others with them. Being respected is just as important because your employees have to know you've proved that you earned your position and you deserve to be a leader. If an employee does not respect you they will constantly second guess and undermine everything you say. 

These four qualities, skills and ideals are a product of my experiences out of school at work or playing on a team and what I've learned in school thanks to classes like Management and leadership. These qualities are something I keep in mind to be the best leader I can be on a daily basis, and are something I work on as I strive to be the best leader I can be and reach my full potential. 

No comments: