Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hayes Leadership Philosophy

                                            "Applying Management and Leadership to my Life"
                                                                       Emily Hayes


My experience: GBN has provided me with so many opportunities to grow upon my leadership skills. Whether it is making a game plan on the field as captain of my team, or planning an event for my class as class secretary. Being in this class has helped me to add on to my skills of being a leader. 

On the Field: Working with a team in many situations can be difficult. Being a leader of a team is even harder. It is learning the balance of trying to help out teammates in need but not over stepping your boundaries. After this class I learned that it is more important to listen than to speak in many situations. Hearing out what my fellow teammates have to say and actually listening to them is key to being a good communicator and therefore a good leader. In order to have a successful outcome it is important to be able to strongly communicate with your teammates. 
Off the Field: Being on class board has provided me with multiple opportunities. It has given me a chance to be able to become more independent as a leader. Through having to work with my fellow classmates to come to an overall idea I have been provided with the opportunity to be able to strengthen my abilities to work with others. The main idea that I took away from this class was the Win Win situations. I had to look at my experiences at school and view them as Win Win. During board, no matter how stressful it became, I started to realize why my fellow board members and I were working so hard. We are working for one common goal to bring unity and fun to our class. Win Win situations started to become more apparent  to me in my every day life especially through board. 

Conclusion: After this semester, I feel as though not only did I grow as a leader but I also developed a new outlook on certain things like clubs and sports. Being a leader isn't something that happens, it takes dedication and effort. I took away the idea that there is a distinct difference between a good and bad leader and it all relates back to the idea of communication. Communication is the base and if it isn't solid, everything else will fall apart. Listening is a key factor in being a good leader and is something that, after taking this class, I have definitely been working on to become a better leader.











No comments: