Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Shane Nediyakalayil: Follow the Leader

In elementary school, we each were assigned a job for the week.  These jobs included board eraser, snack-passer, hall-monitor, and many more.  However, there was one job that I loved the most, and that was line leader.  I loved when it was my turn to be in front and leading everyone to the lunchroom or the gym.  However, this meant I hated when it wasn't my turn.  "Follow the leader" was a game I never enjoyed, but this all changed once I grew older.  Today, I still enjoy playing that game, but now the rules are a little different.  Instead of being in a line and following people to different places, I now follow the leadership styles of different people I admire.  I have my BIG 3 leaders who I look to for advice and through them have I become shaped.  So my leadership style is a mixture of these people, and with their help have I created my own philosophy which is:

Work hard to inspire others and yourself

My first and most influential leader is my dad.  Ever since I was young, I remember him always working and doing something to improve either work or the family.  Before I read 7 Habits, my dad was the one to teach me the importance of being proactive.  It about acting instead of reacting which is like getting ahead instead of trying to catch up.  I still need to improve on the skill in many ways, but I know this class has helped me strengthen that habit.




http://dimland.blogspot.com/2011/02/dimland-radio-2-5-11-show-notes.html


Bill Gates is another leader I look up to.  He dropped out of college, but never stopped reaching for success.  When we learned about the habit "Think win-win", I thought of Bill Gates.  A famous quote of his that I really like is "People don't follow you because you take from them; they follow you because you give to them."  This quote really shows the importance of the success of everyone, and not just you.  A solution that benefits everyone is more beneficial in the long run.




http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Michael-jordan-dunk.jpg

Michael Jordan has always been someone people look up to, including myself.  A lot of people like him because of his basketball ability and money.  I look to him for a different reason.  Just like my other favorite leaders, Jordan was someone who worked extremely hard.  He stands out in the fact that he resembles one of my favorite habits, which is "Begin with the end in mind." Jordan always looked at the long run, which was a championship under his name.  He looked at the big picture, something all leaders do.







My leadership philosophy is still in the making, and I know it will be hard at times to follow, but classes like Leadership and Management will help to strengthen it.  Learning the components of a leader and what it really is are the first steps.  Learning even the different types such as autocratic, participative, and free-rein have really opened my eyes to the different leaders around me, and to myself. These skills and experiences I have gained will help me grow as a leader throughout life.





No comments: