Sunday, January 12, 2014

Reinfranck Leadership Philosophy: Lead By Example

Reinfranck Leadership Philosophy: Lead By Example

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
- John Quincy Adams

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
While I read this book by Sean Covey, I realized that while I possessed many of the habits, there were things I needed to work on. Before taking this class, I liked to jump into things without making a plan ahead of time. This would often leave me frustrated because things wouldn't work out in my favor. Although it's easy to overlook the importance of making a plan, beginning with the end in mind will lead to more success in leading a group through a project, assignment, or obstacle. Another habit that I think gets commonly overlooked is sharpening the saw. I can only be a strong leader if I am myself and I am my best self when I am well rested. Getting enough sleep, I have found, is crucial in being a good leader because you can think more clearly and have a better outlook on situations.

Management
Managing a group doesn't have to be difficult. Something that I've learned from this class is that I can't do everything myself, even if I want to. Delegation of work makes everyone feel like they're contributing and takes some of the work off of my shoulders. People who are motivated do better work.  If the leader appears to be invested in the project, then others will tend to be as well. I've found that modeling the desired attitude will lead to a better chance at success. In my everyday life, I can motivate my teammates by encouraging them to work hard in practice so that we become more successful.

Leadership
At first, I thought a leader was someone who just told people what to do. After learning more about leadership principles, however, I found that leaders come in all shapes and sizes. I believe that different leadership styles are good for different situations, but I am most often a democratic leader. I believe in the power of many minds working together. A democratic leader is also there to keep things on track and to divvy up work. This is the role I decided to take in my group's Leadership Impact Project because I wanted everyone to be a part of the process and get something out of the project. Although our project didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked, I believe the democratic approach was the best way to handle it.

Leadership On The Court
"Let's go!"
Leadership in sports is an interesting dynamic. It isn't always the best player or the loudest player or the most popular player on the team who emerges as the leader. It is the person who will lead by example in practices and in games. It is the people who will hold their teammates accountable for being on time to practice and giving their all in games. The leadership role that I hold on the volleyball court is the one that I feel most comfortable in because of the upbeat environment. I was one of the captains on the varsity volleyball team this year. I was not the best player on the team, but I was a bridge between player and coach. I hope to continue this leadership in my athletics as I continue on to college.

Communication
It is one of the most important life skills. It will make or break a plan. I have had my fair share of experiences where communication was off. It never ends well. Communication ranges from sending a quick text message to having a huge business meeting about the resent decline in productivity. My communication has always been pretty good, but this class has helped me realize just how important it is. I've found that the more people that are in the group, the more crucial communication becomes. Quality communication is the key to success!

No comments: