Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Julia Braude's Leadership Philosophy

Put First Things First:


To become a more balanced leader, I have to recognize that not doing everything that comes along is okay. There's no need to overbook your schedule. Putting first things first means that I am okay with saying no if there is too much on my plate. Being a leader is about prioritizing and seeing what matters rather than little things here or there.

      Image via:the7habit.weebly.com
                                 
Sharpen the Saw
Keeping your personal self sharp so that you can become a better leader.



I believe that for me, it is important that I take time to keep myself healthy in these four categories because I am able to have a healthier outlook on life. Sharpening the saw allows me to take time for myself so I can be a positive leader for others.
Positive Motivation:

Positive motivation is when the person expects a certain reward. I would use positive motivation because I know that I am personally motivated by rewards. Even if it is just being acknowledged for doing something good, it makes employees motivated. I realize that everyone is motivated by different things, so it is important build a personal relationship. This will help you know what is important to them, and will be able to positively motivate them by using what they strive for as an individual. Being positive is one of the aspects that I strive for when being a leader. I feel that it is important to encourage employment development through creation of high job satisfaction.
Negative Motivation:

On the other hand I would use negative motivation in certain scenarios, because employees need to know there will be consequences if their performance does not meet my expectations. I feel that negative motivation will help employees become better at their jobs.

In Daniel Pink's Ted Talk he talks about the puzzling topic of both positive and negative motivation. He explains different scenarios where it is best to use different methods of motivation.
Decision-making Styles:

The decision making that reflects my leadership philosophy is participative/democratic. I feel that it is important for everyone to give input towards a decision. In addition, being a leader I feel that it is crucial for all employees to have a voice to make an important decision, and I want to listen to my employees and hear what they have to say.

Interview Activity:


During this activity, I learned how to effectively interview someone for a position. Something that stood out to me was that each person on the interviewing committee had different expectations for what they wanted for the new employee.  Even though it took us a little longer to figure out who we wanted to hire, everyone had a voice and we all compromised at the end. 



No comments: