Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What Powers a Leader

What Powers a Leader

Each person has their own mentality, philosophy, or reasoning to succeed and inspire. Acting on what we believe on is what makes each of us an individual. My favorite piece of motivation is:

"Your future is created by what you do today"

I believe that what one person does can inspire and set a path for others to follow. So, by initiating my own path to success, I believe it will benefit my future and others who choose to follow, much like the ripple effect example. Don't let the best opportunities slip by because you there is a chance you might fail. I often get asked "Why would you want to go to Scotland for college? It's so far away." The more I think about the opportunities that going to college outside of the US would give me, the more I know I would regret not going for it. While our lives are full of hard choices, our greatest rewards come from the boldest decisions.


"Have passion for what you do"

Everyone has an activity or hobby which they associate themselves with. Throughout all of high school, it's been running on the Cross Country and Track teams, along with business in DECA. With every competition, I try to bring the energy and drive to give it my all so others will as well. It's very hard to be inspired by someone else if they don't seem like they care or want to be there.

"Thinking Win-Win"


The most important part of teamwork is acting on it. While we each run for our own individual times on the Cross Country team, pushing each other and not letting anyone fall back is just as important. Last year, there was a captain on my varsity team who looked to only improve himself rather than help others who were struggling. That really baffled me because as captain of the team, I thought leading others was just an understood part of the leadership position, but I guess it was something which had to be learned. The 7 Habits' "Win-Win" concept of not letting anyone fall behind would become one of the most important elements of my leadership philosophy when I became a captain the following year.

No comments: