Wednesday, January 15, 2014

What I think A Leader Should Be



What I think A Leader Should Be
I'm a great believer that any tool that enhances communication has profound effects in terms of how people can learn from each other, and how they can achieve the kind of freedoms that they're interested in. -Bill Gates



1) Communication
I think that communication is very important in all aspects of life. If you can not communicate with other people you are going to fail at many things. You won’t be able to hold a job, you can’t have a stable relationship, and in sports you can’t lead a team. If you are able to communicate with others you could be one of the most successful people in the world. I think that the worlds most important leaders have the greatest ability to communicate to each other. Whether it is through word, print, or action. They can reach out to people who they don’t even know, and appeal to them. All because of good communication. The president is able to communicate to the American people so well that he can win the popular vote. So if a leader has that great of communication, then think what he can do in a smaller market.

2) Lead By Example
I try to embody lead by example everyday weather it is outside or inside of the classroom. When you are able to do this, You do not even need to be vocal to be a leader. You could go do what you do best and others will follow you. If you are able to lead a group of people with just your actions, then think what you will be able to do with good verbal communication.

3) Hard Work
My main goal is to to be a hard working leader. I think that one thing that has gotten me to where I am today is hard work. As team captain of my club and high school men's water polo team, I have had to take on some serious leadership roles. At times I had to be a player and other times a coach. As a player I would have to seek to understand, then be understood. So in other words, I needed to become a better listener. And I realized that I wouldn't just have to listen to my coaches but I would have to listen to my teammates. I would have to learn from them and adjust my leadership depending on whether they respond to negative or positive motivation. But, I think that with all of the hard work I have put into the sport, I was ready for it. I have committed countless hours in and out of the pool trying to improve my game. Whether it was 4 hour practices in St. Louis with the Midwest 18 Under team or having notebooks full of plays, drills, and advice from college coaches when attending their camps, they both prepared me to be a leader today. All of the hard work I've put in at school will also help as much as the work I have done outside the classroom. I came to realize I won't go anywhere without hard work in the classroom. And because I have put in all of this hard work I will be ready for most challenges in life.

I think that all three of these tie together perfectly. I am going to try my best to do these three thing to the best of my ability. If i accomplish that goal, then I can be a great leader inside and outside of the classroom. I would eventually like to be able to use these skills on a larger stage, and help more people other than myself.

No comments: