Friday, January 10, 2014

Lauren Konopka's Leadership Philosophy

Leader Types:
Autocratic Leader: This type of leader has absolute power and listens to no one else (dictator).
Bureaucratic Leader: A bureaucratic leader does everything by the book insuring the staff follow all procedures exactly.
Transformational Leader: This type of leader leads to inspire their employees and team.
Laissez-faire Leader: Normally people who follow the Laissez-faire tries to leave their employees alone to decide for themselves, they are usually surrounded by a skillful team of employees.
Democratic Leader: Invites other employees and team members to come up with decisions and relies on an agreement between everyone of what is best.

My Leadership Philosophy
I try to be a mix of all types of leaders ranging from a Autocratic form of leadership to more of a Democratic way of leading. I believe that there are certain situations that require certain types of leadership. I think a good leader knowns this, and uses their flexibility to their advantage. If I were to choose what type of leader I am, it would involve more of the democratic style. In other words I am a quiet leader.
-I like to work behind the scenes, I’m very quiet, patient, and careful with my work.
-I don’t assume there is a right way to do things, I take things one step at a time, and work off of that.
-I like when there is structure because I know exactly what to do, and don’t have to be creative with my work.
-I understand that some situation call for direct, forceful action, but this would be my last resort.
-I think  preparation, caution, care, and attention to detail are usually the best approach to important, demanding challenges.
-I try to keep my mind open to new ideas.
-I understand that, quite often, things turn out much different from what they or anyone expects, and I am ready to move flexibly and rapidly.

- I am well aware of my own self-interests, and I work hard to protect my reputation.
-I like to have a lot of time when dealing with challenges. Time gives people a chance to assess their real obligations and gives sound instincts a chance to emerge.
-I like the get to the bottom of things.
-I also like to get as much feedback from people who have already dealt with some of the challenges I am going through.
-I like to examine and then re-examine problems, looking for new angles/perspectives on everything.

Overall I feel like people think less of quiet leaders and don’t think highly of them compared to other types of leaders. Although I believe myself to be a quiet leader, I still have my own opinions and just because I don’t always verbally share them with everyone doesn’t mean they are not there. Everyone has their own interests and ways of expressing themselves, especially when it comes to leading other people. I am a quiet leader and that is okay.

No comments: