Friday, January 10, 2014

Ilana Goldberg's Leadership Ideology: The Bun and Beyond


Absolutely nothing makes my mouth water like a good ol' cheese burger. The supple bun, juicy meet, crunchy lettuce, melty cheese, and succulent tomatoes all combine for the ultimate sandwich. This meal is not only my favorite thing to munch, but it is also a very accurate representation of my leadership philosophy. Although it might sound crazy, a cheeseburger and I both have so much to offer. 


The Bun: The bun represents the bun that I constantly rock on my head and the positive attitude that encompasses my action. This optimistic mindset is necessary towards creating successful results. As seen in research time and time again, such as in that conducted by Daniel Pink, positive motivation leads towards greater outcomes. Additionally, this positive attitude creates an excellent environment for the people I lead and helps me to facilitate good relationships. Whenever there is a bump in the road, I revert to this practical ideology to move past it. 

The Meat: The heartiness and center placement of the meat of the meat is my ability to use my heart as a guide, my principle center. Throughout this class and all of my leadership experience, I have come to realize that if you have a strong moral code and something to stand for, you are more likely to remain focused on achieving your goals. Beginning with the end in mind with your principle center at your core is often the key to successfully leading a group or completing a task. My principle center, caring for and creating the best possible atmosphere for others, is always the center of my thinking as a leader. Seeing other people succeed is one of my favorite things. Some say that the greatest legacy of a leader is to inspire others and create more leaders. I strive to do that every day. 

The Lettuce: The freshness of the lettuce is my quick wit and capacity to generate bright ideas. This is one of my greatest strengths as a leader, so I play to it when trying play the best possible role in a group. My brains not only help me to think up new ideas and solutions, but also plan, organize, and implement them, as well. When completing a task, however, I have come to realize that I can't and shouldn't do it all on my own. Although my brains might be my strength, there are many areas where I lack and that's where others can play to their strengths. Delegation of work is essential to be as successful and efficient as possible, using a variety of people and talents to get the job done. 

The Tomato: The pungency and strong presence of a tomato represents my ability to listen and do what's best for the group, despite criticisms. To be perfectly honest, I hate tomatoes so much, but they truly are a crucial component of any legitimate burger. In terms of my leadership, tomatoes are criticism and negative energy, two things I simply can't stand. However, as a leader, I must face and overcome both of those adverse occurrences. I must constantly do what's best for the group and listen to all possible ideas. The imperative ability to listen is best articulated in the 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens as the idea of seeking to understand, before being understood. I aim to hear every possible idea, even the negative or critical ones, before making any decisions on behalf of those I lead. 

The Cheese: And finally, the cheese holds the burger together and exemplifies the balance necessary to be a leader. For my leadership interview, I interviewed on of my closest friends who, among other things, is the Vice President of the Student Body at Glenbrook South. Time and time again, she emphasized the necessity of balance in her schedule and time allocation. This is something I struggle with and hearing from her how important it was, I now have been trying to make the best use of my time and achieve the equity necessary to function best. Although this is still one of my weaknesses, I am actively working towards creating better balance in my life as a leader and human being.

Next time you bite into a cheeseburger, don't forget to think of me, even if it is just because of my bun. The best thing about a cheeseburger is it's consistency to be a great sandwich, just as I try to constantly being the best leader I can be. I am always trying to stay rooted in my principle center and improve on my abilities. 

No comments: