Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Teagan Murray's Leadership Philosophy

Teagan Murray's Leadership Philosophy

7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens: During this book, I thought a lot about myself and in what ways I related to each of the habits. I found out that there are a lot of things I could be doing differently to be a more effective me. But, I realized, nothing's ever going to be perfect. Not myself, not my leadership style, nothing. This is why being able to problem solve when things go wrong and coming up with  different plans is so important. When you're leading a group project, an event, etc, there are going to be flaws and things are going to go wrong. However, I believe the best way to overcome these challenges, is to know how to problem solve. Reading 7 habits helped me understand that usually things don't run perfectly, and that that's ok. I believe the best leaders are the ones who struggle through problems but still come out successful.




Communication Unit: For example, in my leadership project, we weren't able to have choir come and perform for us. There were a lot of better ways that my group and I could have problem solved in that situation. For starters I think it is important to be a good and effective listener. it's important to understand what the problem is in order to fix it. After all, my solutions contain what I have learned by listening. When we found out we weren't going to be able to have choir perform, we could've suggested a different date, a different time, asked what was most conveniant for them, anything else. Instead, we did nothing and accepted the fact that they couldn't come. We could've even asked a different musical group to come, such as band. Also, it's critical that you communicate with your group members as well. Listening plays a huge role in communication and in problem solving. Your group members might have really good ideas on what to do to solve the problem so it's important that you listen to their suggestions.


Leadership Unit: A huge part of leadership is being able to make decisions. When you encounter a problem, you need to be able to decide what you want to do about, and how you're going to do it. You can't be iffy and just "go with the flow". You need a plan with the ability to execute that plan. But, the way you learn how to lead people and make these big decisions is by leading by example.  The best leaders know what they know from their previous leaders. They listened and learned from their superiors how to become better at management, communication, and over-all better leaders. Leadership is so much more than being able to be in charge and tell people what to do. It involves problem solving skills, communication and listening skills, and a lot more. Alot of the time it involves experience which is what I talked about earlier, leading by example. Leadership skills are difficult to have sometimes and I believe everyone has their strong suits and not so strong suits when it comes to leading but these qualities are what make good leaders and this is my leadership philosophy.




           



No comments: