Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Joanne's Leadership Philosophy

Leadership Philosophy
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. "

Theodore Roosevelt  

From Nothing to Something
In the beginning of leadership class, I understood nothing about leadership materials.  Also I was scared of learning more because it was difficult for me to have those easy seven habits from 7 Habits book.  The first three habits of seven habits were probably the most hard ones for me to become flexible.  However, because I learned it with some struggles, it remains in my mind the most.  
Turning Point
Leaders always look high esteemed, are very proud of themselves, and having a lot of respects from others.  I always observed them being a proactive, and wanted to become a person like them.  The reason why I call them as leaders is because they follow other people respectively, always be positive, make decisions carefully, and always be responsible of what he/she does and says.  Thinking of win-win kind of goes together with being proactive.  Win-win is the most peaceful way for people to have in a relationship because it is such as a nice way for both people to win without any fights.  There will be some sacrifice actions for leaders to take but by little bit of negotiating, they will get whatever they need peacefully.  Therefore, this is what crucial leaders do.  I will become a leader who has those leadership characteristic. They always make situation peaceful.  Those characteristics of leaders are what I want to contain to become a leader that I think of.  



Leadership
In leadership unit, I found some my leadership philosophy.  Leaders motivate other people by positive attitudes and are participative leaders.  I always dreamed of a leader to be cooperatively work with other people without being strict or being a dictator.  Also I want to motivate other people by helping them out.  I saw most leaders on speech.  From those inspirational speeches, they were very motivative to me and made me to grow as a leader like that.


Interviewing a leader
We learn to be a leader by observing many leaders from previous ones.  We are all not born to be leaders.  We all learn and gain leadership characteristics in my opinion.  Therefore, I learned some leadership characteristics from one of leaders in school, Ms. Eller.  She is my English teacher and I like how she leads my class.  From her interview, I realized that she tries to be lead by, and always try to be responsible on what she says because her voice is not only voice in the class to be heard.  Her leadership philosophy is giving people tools to solve problems in much flexible ways, and giving opportunities to students to lead themselves well.  She strives to be fun, fair and friendly to be a leader.  She also has a conviction but open minded.  

Reflection
From her leadership styles, I felt she was all true and right.  I forgot about the fairness that all leaders should have.  Because for me, I always thought the responsibility was way important.  After her interview, I became more friendly to other people and be fair to everyone.  I applied some leadership styles outside of school. In my church, I was very shy and not talking to much people in the beginning.  Since I got changed, I went up to people first and start to talk and hang out with them.  Now, I can’t wait to go to church on Sundays.  Probably, I had a too strong conviction that that will not be changed easily.  I always thought I could not be friends with people in my church.  Being a flexible person brought me a result of a whole different story. Lastly, I had been observed some strong, and strict leaders at school, and any other places.  Because I always hated the way they lead the class, I decided not to become a leader like that, and that I always hated of.  If I keep my promises in this page, I will become such a successful and friendly leader and I want to be that leader.

No comments: